The Centre was built in 1928 by the Lilley Drift Colliery as a community hall for the local miners. It was extended in 1930 and was used for dances, whist drives, bazaars, the WI, the Library and also as the child welfare clinic. The building is owned by Gateshead Council but is run by a group of local people: an executive committee and a larger management committee, made up from members of groups who use it. Each member within a group pays a small fee making them a member of Rowlands Gill Community Association, giving advantageous rents for regular meetings.
Current regular users are a Day Centre with wonderful food, Gibside Art Group, Flower Club, Little Stars Dance Group, Yoga, Pilates, Keep Fit, Karate, WI and the Gibside Singers. Live at Home Scheme have their office there and run another luncheon club.
The hall is available for private hire (birthday parties, wedding receptions, our own church events etc). The Committee organises fundraising events - essential as Council funding has now been completely cut.
Upcoming events are:
Sat 24th June ‘Jazzmatazz’ jazz band 7.30
Sat 15th July Afternoon Tea + entertainment 2.00-5.00