Strathmore Road Methodist Church is based in Rowlands Gill, directly serving the communities of Rowlands Gill, Highfield and High Spen, with members from all over the community and a few from beyond. The church is a lively church that seeks to continually strengthen its relationship with God, while serving the community. Strathmore Road Methodist Church is part of the South West Tyneside Circuit, within the Newcastle District, of the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
Strathmore Road Methodist Church is a registered charity. You can access the latest annual report and accounts below.
With the help of the Holy Spirit, we seek to live our lives as a loving community with each other and the world around us, following the example and teaching of Jesus Christ and worshipping God. As a church we seek to be:
A loving community
- Offer pastoral support, fellowship and prayer to all recognising that it is an expression of God's love.
- Be a welcoming church that promotes a sense of belonging and values every member.
- Share the good news of God's love made known through Jesus Christ with all ages.
- Be aware of the needs that arise in the local community and wider world and respond as we are able.
- Engage with other Churches and organisations to promote justice and peace and bring good to our world as part of God's mission.
- Help people grow and sustain their faith through Biblical teaching, fellowship and prayer.
- Encourage everyone to use their gifts and exercise their ministry in the church and in daily life.
- Provide opportunities for people of different stages of faith to explore the way of Christ.
- Promote a pattern of whole life discipleship that recognises that being a Christian impacts on all aspects of life and calls for responsible stewardship of money, time and resources.
- Enable the nurture and development of children and young people in the Christian Faith.
- Worship in ways that are honouring to God, that help us focus upon Christ Jesus and increase our awareness of his presence through the Holy Spirit.
- Develop opportunities for prayer and spending time seeking God.
- Provide worship that is welcoming, family friendly, and accessible to people of different abilities.
- Encourage participation in worship, recognising and utilising the talents and gifts of the congregations.
- Develop forms of worship that are relevant to the world in which we live, that are uplifting, challenging and of good quality.
Each year, the members of the church renews its covenant with a special covenant service. During this service the Covenant Prayer is used to express our covenant with God
I am no longer my own but yours.
Put me to what you will,
rank me with whom you will;
put me to doing,
put me to suffering;
let me be employed for you
or laid aside for you,
exalted for you
or brought low for you;
let me be full,
let me be empty,
let me have all things,
let me have nothing;
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things
to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, glorious and blessèd God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours.
So be it.
And the covenant now made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.